TiO2 (titanium dioxide) technology,
works and how it has evolved
O�ZONELite� is an amazing technological breakthrough! We combined an
energy efficient light source with a TiO2 (titanium dioxide) coating
to effectively help in the elimination of airborne bacteria, mold,
viruses, fungi, smoke and household odors. With the discovery of the
proper binders, we were able to combine the liquid compound of TiO2
(titanium dioxide) to a compact fluorescent light that will last for
6,000 hours. That is 8 times longer than your traditional
incandescent light bulbs! This state-of-the-art technology is not
only effective and easy to use, but is the most affordable way to
enjoy the benefits of TiO2's (titanium dioxide) photocatalytic
action. The TiO2 (titanium dioxide) photocatalytic action is
achieved when combined with a properly balanced light source. This
action reduces harmful microorganisms that are constantly
circulating through the air into harmless CO2 (carbon dioxide, which
is expelled during respiration) and H2O (water), thus completely
eliminating the microorganism, making O�ZONELite� completely safe
for humans and animals.
Although , the name 'O�ZONELite�' was chosen because
ozone is created electrically during thunderstorms. This electrical
discharge, ozone, creates a positive sweet smell that we
understand as fresh air.
based on room size and airflow.
HERE to see important University of Florida study
The following is an excerpt from a press
release dated 1997 from the University of Florida explaining TiO2�s
(titanium dioxide) bactericidal
PHOTOCATALYTIC AIR CLEANING SYSTEM
TO HELP ALLERGY SUFFERERS*
Oct. 9, 1997
Source: Yogi Goswami
GAINESVILLE � Allergy
and asthma sufferers soon may have a new weapon in their fight
against airborne enemies: an indoor air cleaning system that uses
light and simple chemicals to destroy the dust mites and mold spores
that cause many allergies.
Developed at the University of
Florida�s Solar Energy and Energy Conversion Laboratory, the
photocatalytic air filtration system has been tested in medical and
industrial settings and already has proven successful at zapping
odors and impurities caused by chemicals, viruses and bacteria. It
soon will be available for home use, said Yogi Goswami, professor
and director of the laboratory.
�This technology will
revolutionize our notions about the quality of indoor air,� said
Goswami. �With people spending more and more time indoors, it
becomes increasingly important to provide clean air.�
system uses light, which reacts with a titanium dioxide-based
chemical catalyst as air passes through. The result is oxidation,
which attacks and destroys microbes by disintegrating their DNA. The
reaction also kills dust mites and mold.
Goswami said that
the photocatalytic process is superior to conventional techniques
using filters, which must be changed and disposed of. �With this
system, contaminants are destroyed rather than transferred. No toxic
chemicals are employed,� said Goswami. Allergy and asthma suffers
may find great relief once dust mites and mold spores are eliminated
from the air they breathe, he said.
�Dust mites in the air
cause allergic reactions in an estimated 15 to 20 percent of the
population, and have been linked to the development of childhood
asthma. The droppings of dust mites are found in bedding and
carpeting, but they also circulate in the air,� said Goswami.
�Inhaled mold spores are also responsible for many allergy symptoms
and aggravate asthma. Mold seeds are microscopic and need to be 100
percent destroyed. Otherwise, they lie dormant and grow back.
Because mold spores also circulate in the air, cleaning an
environmental surface is not an efficient way of eliminating molds.
This system eliminates molds altogether.�
Goswami said the
system has been tested successfully in medical research settings
where the air in laboratories must be microbe-free. �We've tested
the photocatalytic air cleaning system on a variety of indoor air
problems, including toxic bacteria, such as those found to cause
Legionnaire�s disease,� said Goswami. �Surgical suites and hospital
nurseries are just two obvious places for this system. Sick building
syndrome will be a thing of the past where this system is used. The
photocatalytic system can quickly kill off 100 percent of bacteria
in indoor air,� said Goswami.
*This study is in no way an endorsement of O�ZONELite� or
any other products referenced on this site.